WARNING: Exception calling "CreateInstance" with "1" argument(s):........

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Some of my servers work, some do not.  I get the errror when trying to audit them:

WARNING: Exception calling "CreateInstance" with "1" argument(s): "Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID
 {4CB43D7F-7EEE-4906-8698-60DA1C38F2FE} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 800706ba."

I poked through the documentation, and didn't see anything that helped.  All my servers are in one OU, getting the same group policies.  Many are almost the same (only differences are web pages they are hosting).  I am running it from my AD account that is in the local administrator account.  Could someone give me an idea of what to try next?

--Bryan

Coordinator
Sep 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Usually I see this happen when the Windows Firewall is being used. The only solution I have found is to allow Dynamic RPC on at least the Inbound connection.

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Thanks, but no dice for me.  Some googling trying to find how to allow DRPC came up with

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732839%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

I created the GPs, and pushed them out to some test servers, but nuthin.  I still get the same error. 

Any other ideas I could try?  (assuming the link was the correct fix to the FW problem)

--Bryan

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I'm also seeing this issue. Disabling windows firewall entirely seems to work, but allowing Dynamic RPC didn't seem to work. Any idea what ports are needed?
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2013 at 1:16 AM
I'll check some systems at work that I know had this issue and see what I opened up on the firewall.
Feb 15, 2013 at 3:12 PM
boeprox wrote:
I'll check some systems at work that I know had this issue and see what I opened up on the firewall.
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Feb 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Have any luck figuring those ports out?
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Yes, I was able to look at a previous server that I had to configure to allow access to the utility in the Windows Firewall.

I had to create an Inbound Rule via the Wizard with the following steps:
  1. Rule Type: Custom Rule
  2. Program - Keep defaults
  3. Under Protocols and Ports, I did the following selections
    3a. Protocol Type: TCP
    3b. Local port: RPC Dynamic Ports
  4. Scope - Keep defaults
  5. Action - Keep defaults
  6. Profile - Keep defaults
  7. Give it a name and click Finish
Once I did this, I was able to successfully query for updates.
Mar 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM
That solved it. Thanks!