Nothing is getting installed

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I have been trying to get PoshPAIG to actually install, but it won't. I can audit the patches just fine (in this case there are 54 patches pending), and I can see all sorts of information about my test machine, but when I try to install, the status bar reports it completed very quickly, and the number of patches installed says 1, and 0 install errors.

If I run the Install UI report, it lists errors across the board (Title, KB, IsDownloaded, and Notes). However, I have NO IDEA what the error is. I tried to run "View Error Log" (under actions) and nothing happens.

If I look in the WindowsUpdate.log on the client, I can see evidence of the scan occurring. However, when I try to run the install, I see nothing in that log.

I have tried running it from my Windows 7 machine, using elevated privileges, as well as a Server 2008 machine, logged in as an admin.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Never mind, I think I figured it out. I knew that I had PsExec in the correct folder, but I never tested to see if I could actually run it against remote servers. Sure enough, when I did, I got the error message about not being able to access the ADMIN$ share. That's when I remembered that the previous admin had disabled ADMIN$ shares on several servers. Needless to say, my test server was one of them.

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM
Hey paulexander,

i'm encountering the same issue. ADMIN$'s are there, the vbs script is on C:.
Cscript error level is 0 in the powershell window
If i run the vbs manually not much is happening either. at some point it just opens a little Script Host windows telling me "installing updates" - liar :(

Does anyone else have another hint except ADMIN$?
Nov 5, 2015 at 1:20 PM
Hey there,

i've created a workaround and replaced the update.vbs with a powershell script.
This works at least for me.